Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Deep Thoughts (By Jack Handy????)

Actually, my thoughts aren't all that deep. I just tend to think more in the early morning hours that I do during the rest of the day. Maybe that is why morning prayers are so important. Growing up, I was taught to say bedtime prayers. It wasn't until I was quite a bit older that I started saying evening prayers.
  • Thought: I went out to water my few remaining (brown, scraggly, sick-looking) plants this morning while I was still barefoot, and I noticed that there were patches of my lawn that were very warm. I don't know why. At first, I thought that maybe a cat had been lying in that spot and warmed it up. . . but there were three or four spots (1 to 2 feet in diameter) that were warm and there aren't that many cats roaming the neighborhood right now, nor would four of them come lie on the same lawn at the same time and all run away when I came out. That is strange.
  • Thought: I'm going to give up sugar. Well, sort of. I know I am addicted to sugar. I also feel that part of the reason that so many of the joints in my body are sore and ache all the time is because I eat too much sugar. Besides, even if that is not the reason I ache, overcoming my addiction to sugar is a good idea anyway. I think that after I have gone month or more without sugar, that maybe I can introduce it again into my diet in small, controlled amounts. (I just can't imagine a life totally devoid of ANY frozen yogurt.) I guess we'll see how that goes. We had a lesson in R.S. last Sunday on Self Discipline and how to put it into practice in our lives. I asked Edonna for a copy so I could bring it home and study it more.
  • Thought: I am grateful for my son-in-laws who have been very good to me lately. It adds tremendously to my general well-being and enjoyment of life. I appreciate that Jason is willing to look at me and see who I am instead of who he thought I would be or expected me to be.
  • Thought: I have had an "empty nest" for about seven years now and it is still hard for me. I miss family. I miss having children around. I miss the bustle and the noise. I am glad that Christian and Leslie and Cecily and Jason live close enough and will let me just "drop in" sometimes to partake of family life. I'm glad that Jen is willing to make the long drive. On the other hand, it is a good thing that I don't have children 24/7 because my body is just getting worn out. Mentally and emotionally I want that. Physically sometimes, I just can't do it.

3 comments:

Anna said...

Will you email/post on your blog the lesson that Edonna gave. I could use a swift quick in the pants.

Mom. Thank you for being my mom. I sure enjoy being around you (when I CAN be around you :) )

Anna said...

Jack Handy Thought of the Day:

Whenever I go to a party, I laugh and laugh, every time somebody says something, in case it's suppose to be funny.

Courtesy of
http://www.deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com/

Leslie said...

We are so glad you drop in occasionally! If you really get to missing the bustle, let us know and you can come stay with the kids while we go away for a while. ;)