Thursday, February 26, 2009

My terriffic husband - David!



David has been having a lot of very "unglamorous" medical problems lately. It's been very scary too. A lot of these things that he has to deal with could eventually be fatal. Well, life is actually fatal. What I mean is that some of these things are indicators that David could be moving on a little sooner that the rest of us. But then look at Marcia and Jim. Who would have thought he would ever outlive her!
Just to let everyone I know that I really love David. Here are some of the things I really love about him:
  1. He loves the Gospel of Jesus Christ and always tries to fullfill his callings and be a good example to others. Well except for two weeks the summer of 1977. Muriel and West took the older boys to Wyoming with them and while they were gone, David took a vacation from going to church. He stayed home and slept and watched TV andeven washed his car on Sunday. When we got to the end of the second week, David asked me if they were going to be home the next Sunday. When I told him they would, he sighed and said, "Well, I guess I'd better get my butt in gear and get back to being a good example and a Father." I suppose he repented because we haven't noticed any serious lapses since. He's been a pretty darn good example.
  2. David loves me. I know that David is not perfect (although I was young enough and foolish enough to think so at first). He makes mistakes and has his faults, but he is almost perfect at loving me. There have been many times when I have been mean and grouchy and absolutely awful! And he loved me. I have weighed more than 200 lbs and was embarrassed to show my face outside the front door. And David loved me anyway. I have been unreasonable, stubborn and critical. And David still loved me. I can trust him. I can depend on him. I believe he will always love me. My Dad loved my mom --"No matter what- - -" and I wanted someone who would love me like that. I think I found him.
  3. David is sweet with his grandkids . He loves them and is delighted when they show love to him.
  4. He is forgiving. He has been abused and maligned by a few people in his life and he forgives them.
  5. He is clean and has good hygiene. He takes good care of his hair and his beard .
  6. He listens to me and tries to please me.
  7. He likes to give me gifts and I am very hard to give gifts to. He has made it a life-long study, trying to find gifts he can give me that I like. Mostly, I guess he just lets me do whatever I want to do and encourages me in it.
  8. He is very smart and a fast learner.
  9. He's nice to snuggle up next to at night and he makes me feel safe.
  10. We can spend hours and hours together and enjoy ourselves the whole time.
I really like having David around. I hope he's here, with me, for many, many, more years!!!

4 comments:

delilas said...

Barbara that is so sweet. I found your blog off of Leslie I hope you don't mind. You and David are wonderful people and I'm glad that I had the chance to rub shoulders with you and that Leslie and Christian shared their wonderful families so willingly. I could always tell how much you two loved each other by the way you treated each other. Thanks for the great example from both of you. We will never forget our trip to NYC with your family. :D

Cecily said...

I am so glad I have David Woolf as my father, for all of the reasons you listed. He really has done a good job of loving my mother unconditionally and I really appreciate that about him.

Leslie said...

What a sweet tribute! He is one of my favorite people in the whole world. (And I know people all over the world.) Love you both...

(I forgot to type in the word verification at the bottom of the page and this is the next one that came up: testingu. Funny, huh?)

Anna said...

This post made me tear up a bit. A sweet tribute to a truly terrific husband and father. All your children have always known how much you guys love each other. Something I'm very grateful for.