Thursday, November 6, 2008

My goal

I can't just post pictures to keep my grandchildren entertained or I lose the purpose of this blog. Which to me is to keep a journal of sorts. I need to write my thoughts and feelings and the things I want to remember and the things I want to be remembered by.

I decided to write down what my goal is for my life. I thought about it while I was walking the track this morning and I believe my goal, in the shortest, most inclusive way is: When I leave this life and meet my Heavenly Father, I want to hear him say, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant."
I have been examining my life lately and realize that there are things I should be doing that I have totally neglected. Like Sister Rogers said yesterday in institute: "In the church, many of us put our families first and use that as an excuse to neglect our duties to God. We need to remember that God comes first and then our families."
True, some people can spend all their time doing "church work" and neglect their families,
There is also a time and a season for everything and sometimes our duty and service to God is taking care of the little ones who have been entrusted to us. That stewardship can be so constant, time-consuming and exhausting that we don't seem to be able to do much outside of that. During those overwhelming times, maybe putting God first is doing what we can at home:
-have personal prayers and prayers with our family
-have family scripture reading
-talk to our children about the gospel and Heavenly Father in relationship to their everyday struggles so they learn to love the gospel and apply it to their lives.
I can't tell you what is the best balance. I can only speak for myself. I know that God does not expect us to run faster than we are able. But now that my children are all adults and I don't have to take care of their physical needs, I realize that this is the season for me to whole-heartedly turn my life over to God. I want to listen to my leaders and hear everything they say and do my best to obey. I want to show my Heavenly Father that I will endure faithfully through all the "learning experiences" he has for me and be grateful for my growth.
I have learned not to commit sins, for the most part. But I really need to work on my sins of omission. I need to do missionary work, I need to do temple work and I need to be more attuned to promptings of the Spirit and to listen and to ACT.
I am so grateful for the scriptures and our leaders and the guidance and encouragement they give us. My life has truly changed and I enjoy my life so much more.

“Men and women who turn their lives over to God will discover that He can make a lot more out of their lives than they can. He will deepen their joys, expand their vision, quicken their minds, strengthen their muscles, lift their spirits, multiply their blessings, increase their opportunities, comfort their souls, raise up friends and pour out peace. Whoever will lose his life in the service of God will find eternal life.” (See Matt 10:39)

-Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, (p.361)


I believe this and it gives me great comfort and joy.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

What a great quote to sum up your goal. Who wouldn't want those blessings? I think you're doing a great job accomplishing your life goal, by the way.

Anna said...

Mom
You amaze me more and more each day. Not that you weren't doing amazing stuff before, but I appreciate your willingness to always grow and progress and to show your Heavenly Father how dedicated you are. You are a great example to me.
Thank you for always teaching me and of course, loving me.