Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Sometimes it's cloudy

Well, the clouds were really only in my head. We actually had record heat yesterday (for the 17th of October). It was a lovely 85 degrees.
But Sunday I hadn't taken my 5htp so I was living with a thundercloud. I remember Cecily explaining to Jen how she had to take some aminos, wait twenty minutes, eat something, wait 2 hours, take some aminos, wait twenty minutes, eat something, wait two hours, etc., etc., all day long. And not only that, you have to eat protein or it doesn't count. And Cecily has the hardest time with it because she not only has to keep herself on schedule, she has four children with four different schedules that she has to deal with too. Not to mention a husband, church callings and large home to take care of. Cecily, you are AMAZING! You achieve miracles every day, even when you only manage to get a small portion of anything accomplished. I'm reminded of Roseanne Barr saying once in a comedy routine (wait, did I just admit to listening to a Roseanne Barr routine?) when she said, "I figure if the kids are still alive when my husband gets home, I've done my job." Some days are actually like that.

I've been reading a lot of Neal Maxwell lately. I guess I've been steeling myself for the trials ahead. I keep reminding myself that my job here on earth is to learn to accept God's will and make it my own. That the trials and struggles that I face are actually learning and growing experiences sent to me by a loving Heavenly Father and I need to be grateful for them. I need to learn to live the gospel well enough that I am not creating my own difficulties and struggles. I have to trust that when my trials and sorrows are brought about by the bad decisions, faults or sins of others, my Heavenly Father can turn them around for my benefit.
Whew! That's a lot sometimes. Remember, O remember!

Oh, the other colloquialism is "talk like a Dutch uncle." Apparently, a Dutch uncle spoke very persuasively or maybe so fast or was so verbose that you didn't have an opportunity to come up with an arguement. Something like that.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

E. Cobham Brewer 1810–1897. Dictionary of Phrase and Fable. 1898.

Dutch Uncle.

I will talk to you like a Dutch uncle. Will reprove you smartly. Uncle is the Latin notion of pat’ruus, “an uncle,” “severe guardian,” or “stern castigator.”

I think you have a great perspective, mom. Share more of Maxwell...I love him!
Les.

Cecily said...

Hey mom, thanks for the praise. It helps me to know someone thinks I am amazing in spite of all my flaws. It is funny how much work it is just learning to live in reliance on our Heavenly Father. I guess that is what we are here for more than anything else, though.